Biden orders strikes on Iranian targets in Syria following attacks on US forces.
The US has carried out strikes on two targets in Syria used by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and pro-Iranian groups, said Pentagon chief Lloyd Austin, as reported by Sarbaz.kz, citing Ria News.
"By order of President Biden, US forces conducted defensive strikes against two sites in western Syria that were used by the IRGC and associated groups," Austin said in a statement.
According to Reuters, citing a Pentagon source, the targets of the US F-16 fighter jet strikes in Syria were weapon and ammunition depots. Austin stated that these strikes were unrelated to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and did not signify a change in Washington's policy. He referred to them as a response to the attacks against Americans in Iraq and Syria, which began on October 17. One Pentagon contractor was killed, and 21 other personnel sustained minor injuries as a result.
As Austin stated, President Biden's order demonstrates that the US will not tolerate such attacks and will defend itself and its interests.
"The United States is not seeking conflict and does not intend to engage in further combat actions, but these Iran-supported attacks must cease," he said.
The head of the Pentagon added that the US would not allow Iran to conceal its involvement in the attacks and would not hesitate to take further measures in self-defense.
Previously, Pentagon spokesperson Patrick Ryder reported that US military personnel were subjected to 16 attacks in Iraq and Syria from October 17 to 26. Prior to that, Joe Biden warned Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, stating that the US would respond to attacks on American military personnel in the Middle East and called on them to be prepared for this.